As part of an ongoing effort to include new voices, new media, and new audiences, Indie Memphis will host their second annual festival entirely devoted to young filmmakers with the 2017 Indie Memphis Youth Film Fest.
- When: Saturday, September 9th (9:30AM-10PM)
- Where: Halloran Centre at the Orpheum
Filmmakers in grades 7 – 12 and 2017 high school graduates from Memphis and surrounding areas were called on to produce original films and videos of all kinds, and, with support from NFFTY and Real to Reel Film School, over 90 youth films from across the world were submitted.
Highlights for the festival include:
- Eight free youth workshops hosted by top film professionals
- World premiere of the 2016 VIA productions Grand Jury prize winner Mikey Thomas’ film “Wildfire”
- Tom Shadyac (The Nutty Professor, Ace Ventura) presents the keynote “Why We Make Movies”
- Film Screenings all day featuring Memphis youth films combined with films selected from across the county during the Narrative Showcase, Music Film Showcase, and Documentary Showcase
- Memphis Youth Film Competition: premiere 25 “finalists”
The full day of events is FREE to 7th-12th grade students.