Are you looking for ways to encourage, educate, and empower the refugee community in Memphis? Consider volunteering for one of the Refugee Empowerment Program‘s many opportunities.
Since it’s beginning in 2002, REP has served between 200-400 refugees each year. From after-school homework help and Pre-K readiness to adult ESL programs and summer enrichment programs, REP Memphis wants to present refugees with valuable and impactful opportunities to become self-sufficient and independent in their new lives.
Learn more about their available opportunities below:
- What: Volunteers assist youth in grades PK – 12 (as well as a few new college students!) with homework and basic skills development. Volunteers are free to choose their work schedule.
- When: Monday-Thursday from 3 PM-7 PM// Friday from 1:30 PM-4:30 PM; ACT Workshop on Friday from 4 PM-6 PM
Pre-K Readiness Program:
- What: Volunteers interact and teach basic skills to Pre-K students
- When: Monday-Thursday 10 AM-11:30 PM
- What: Encourage young students to develop a love for reading and English studies
- When: Tuesday- Friday 3:15 PM-5:30 PM// Sessions are 45 minutes beginning at 3:15 PM, 4 PM, and 4:15 PM
- What: Partner with individual youth to build meaningful relationships while offering guidance and support.
- When: Mentor pairs meet every Friday from 5PM-7:30PM. Some special events and Saturday substitutions may occur.
- What: Supervise and interact with children of ESL adult students that are in class
- When: Anytime that ESL classes are in session
ESL for Adults:
- What: Instruct, assist, and substitute in instructing English language classes using a provided curriculum which includes basic mathmatics and citizen preparedness.
- When: Three class levels are offered in the mornings and evenings from Monday-Thursday, 10AM-11:30AM and 5:30PM-7PM
Summer Enrichment Program:
- What: Instruct and assist in instructing small classes for students, focusing on developing basic skills for 6-8 weeks during the summer. Volunteers will also supervise reading time, recreation time, snack time, field trips, etc.